The work was commissioned by the London Transport Board for the new Victoria Line
underground. It was first modelled in clay, then plaster and finally cast in glass
reinforced polyester. McFall worked on it from February to June (the mosaic being
carried out by Trata Dreschna). It was installed during July and the Blackhorse
station was opened on 1st September 1968.
Blackhorse Road station is a London Overground and London Underground station in
Walthamstow, London. The station originally opened on 19 July 1894, and the present
station opened on 1 September 1968, having been rebuilt to accommodate the newly-built
Victoria Line. The surface building was the only free-standing station building purposely
created for the Victoria Line.
Reference:"Underground Official Handbook" compiled by Piers Connor 1990 page 27